Thursday, January 27, 2011

Farm To Market Road Etiquette and other Texas Manners

Once, when I had a journalist with me from a big city in another state, (that will remain unnamed), we were traveling down Farm to Market (FM)  Road 1863 on our way to Natural Bridge Caverns and Wildlife Ranch.  All of a sudden everyone going both directions pulled over to the shoulder and stopped, seconds later a saddled horse with no rider shot down the road.  By this time everyone was out of their vehicles trying to stop the horse.  Following the horse was the rider running down the middle of FM 1863.  Now, this group was a typical Texas cooperative: ranchers, business folks, moms, dads, utility workers, road crews, young adults, retirees, etc...

My passengers reaction summed up the spirit of Texas for me.  "Don't all these people have somewhere to be, how did they know what to do, and why would they all uniformly pull over?"

I thought to myself - you mean this doesn't happen everywhere?  Then I began to explain what appears to be innate to Texans.  People are valuable - a saddled horse without rider meant someone might be hurt.  Animals are valuable and are someones pride and joy.  Not to mention that this animal could cause serious damage and injury to those traveling down the road. Concern for animal, rider, and drivers took priority to other individual needs of the day.

Now, I am sure other States have similar characteristics - but that is not where I am from.  I am from Texas, with no apologies for that.   

Well, we stopped the horse. The rider was unharmed and grateful; as this was a prize winning barrel horse.  Then silently we all got back in our vehicles and pulled back onto FM 1863 going about our day.  Of course, the steering wheel wave was exchanged by all to acknowledge the collective effort that everyone exhibited.

Still mesmerized by this event, we were silent the rest of the way until we parked at our destination and then she asked, "did you guys all know each other?"  When I explained we didn't.  Silence filled the vehicle again.

Then my only response was that as Texans we take pride in where we are, definitely where we live, but being Texan is a state of mind.  You take it with you everywhere.  Respect, concern, camaraderie, and being a good neighbor are ingrained in our psyche. 

When Texans travel that persona goes with them.  I have been fortunate to have traveled extensively.    As I think about all those trips to far off places with folks from all over the world, I realize without actually knowing it - that persona went with me.  I made friends with strangers, soaked up the all the cultural differences, and unknowingly imparted Tex-isms wherever I went.

So, try imparting a random act of Tex-ism this week.... it is fun, makes you feel good, and really freaks people out that there are folks in the world that can pay it forward.   Adopt a "non" Texan and bring them into the fold....  

No comments:

Post a Comment