Monday, August 22, 2011

Football, Loyalty, and Royalty


As I read my September Southern Living, a big grin takes over my day.  In the "Pride of Place" article,  the Tuohy's (who inspired Sandra Bullock's character in the Blind Side) remind me it is the start football season and for Texas that has a lot to do with High School Football as well as College.

I never considered high school football as part of my tourism adventure but come to think of it - there was much to be absorbed. Traveling to cities across Texas during football season is one way the change of seasons is heralded. For many the change of seasons means fall colors,  for me it means sportin' a different set of hues. It is always wonderful to look up into the stands and have a sea of royal blue greet me. Over the course of many years and many different kids and grandkids,  I estimate my folks put over 7200 miles on that old pop up Volkswagen Van.

Most of the time my family suited up in Royal Blue but I do remember when two grandsons were at two different schools. This led to my Mom's "Griswald" construction of taking two sweatshirts - one red - one blue - and splitting them down the middle, and sewing the opposing colors together for one sweatshirt.  Equitable support was given for the red and blue because you must always find a way to being your support!    

Now, Most of the mascots in Texas have to do with the wildlife native to the area; so how did we get to be the fighting Unicorns? Here is my theory:  The Great  (Royal) Coat of Arms of the Kingdom of Hanover and the House of Hanover in 1837.  Here is where I find the proud and noble beast, the Unicorn.  

You see New Braunfels was founded by Prince Karl Solms- Braunfels and his mother was, Her Majesty Queen Frederica of Hanover from 1837-1841.

We really are the City of a Prince, and our high school mascot embodies that royal lineage.

With that I will leave all high school football fans with one thought. Sportin' your colors not only shows loyalty but is sometimes a nod to royalty.

On New Braunfels, On New Braunfels....





Great Coat of Arms

No comments:

Post a Comment