Monday, June 13, 2011

Small Achievements & Life Paths

 I love that there are no "benches" in swimming - except a "ready" bench. (As in get ready to achieve.)





Young competitor gets encouragement at meet at Landa Park this past weekend.
 Swimming started my "thirst" for adventure. The coach pictured above was a big part of that. Unbridled encouragement I think describes him best.


Swimming took me to Mexico City, West Coast, East Coast, regional teams, state teams, national teams, college and more.  It introduced me to sign language so that I could communicate with my hearing impaired competitors.  Introduced me to lower oxygen in Colorado,  to Olympic Medalists, met  President Johnson, met Gov. Dolph Briscoe, English Channel swimmers, and an amazingly diverse group of athletes and coaches across the country.    







 How the smallest happenings in our life shape our sense of confidence and thirst for adventure.  
So, starting at age 3 traveling to swim meets across the country became a part of my journey. 
Next generation of leaders at the pool this past weekend - it takes courage to step up to the starting blocks.

 My daughter with Olympic star - Josh Davis

Often times we just think about the responsiblity and independence that a sports experience brings to your life.  We overlook the other doors it opens.  It led me to travel, to jobs,  to soak up other cultures, to live abroad, and  of course, to crow about my own community.  Who knew that would lead me to where I am today.  Still traveling, still swimming,  and still singing the praises of New Braunfels, Texas.  

All from a dip in the pool... New Braunfels, Texas - Jump in.   

(Many photos are from our Lisa on Location - check her out!) 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment